Dreamy Chocolate Pudding

DSC 0442 Dreamy Chocolate Pudding

Hello friends. Have you met homemade chocolate pudding? If not, let me introduce you. You can thank me later.

A far cry from the mysterious powders you can buy in a box, real chocolate pudding is made with cocoa, cornstarch, sugar and milk. It tastes infinitely better than the packaged stuff, and really doesn’t take any more time. It is thick, creamy and deeply chocolatey – but happily, it isn’t nearly as rich as it tastes.

To my lady readers out there (gentlemen, please avert your eyes) – I believe I have found the cure to PMS in the form of chocolate pudding. Yep, it’s true. Weepiness? Cured. Cravings? No brainer. I swear it even knocks out cramps. And you know, there may even be some truth to that… isn’t there something about calcium and PMS?… wait, I should know that… er…

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Which is chocolate. This particular recipe is my favourite recipe out of the dozens I have tried over the years. Yes, dozens. And no, I haven’t been holding out on you purposely… It’s just one of those things that you whip up at 8:30 at night… and it’s really not very photogenic under artificial lights… and the next day when I open my fridge and discover chocolate pudding, I get so excited that I remember only after I eat it that I was supposed to take pictures…

DSC 0463 Dreamy Chocolate Pudding

That doesn’t matter, because I am sharing it with you now. This version is only cocoa-based and is made with 1% or skim milk (as opposed to many recipes which include melted chocolate and use half-and-half or heavy cream). It does, however, have some egg yolks and a couple of tablespoons of butter to give it that incredible luscious texture and rich taste.

Making pudding is not difficult – the only thing to watch out for is making sure that you don’t let it get too hot, causing the eggs to coagulate. However, even if this happens, you can just force it through a fine-mesh sieve. Also, if you are impatient (like me) and wish not to wait 3 or more hours for the pudding to chill, employ an ice bath – a medium bowl for your pudding placed inside a larger bowl filled with ice and water – enjoy cooled pudding with just a few minutes of stirring. Or eat it warm. It tastes like a hug.

DSC 01731 Dreamy Chocolate Pudding

Chocolate Pudding

Adapted from Everyday Food magazine

• 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water. Set a medium-sized bowl aside.

2. In a medium saucepan, off of heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. Very gradually whisk in milk to dissolve cornstarch. Whisk in egg yolks.

3. Whisking constantly, cook over medium-high heat until the first large bubble forms and sputters. Reduce heat to low; still whisking, cook until pudding is thick, one or two minutes more. Remove from heat and pour pudding into medium bowl. Stir butter and vanilla into hot pudding, then place bowl into ice bath and stir continuously until pudding cools. If not serving immediately, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a “skin” from forming.

1. Rachel

January 20, 2011 9:53 pm - Reply

Yes please! I haven’t had good pudding in ages.

2. Joanne

January 23, 2011 8:18 pm - Reply

I love foods that tastes like hugs. And that are PMS friendly. Especially right now. TMI? :P

3. Hungry Aussie

January 26, 2011 12:41 am - Reply

Made this last night for dessert, sadly it did not last long, it tastes delicious. I actually forgot to add the butter as the end. I wouldn’t add it next time, was perfect without it.Will definately be making again soon.

• Anonymous

January 26, 2011 10:53 pm - Reply

Good to know! Glad you liked!!

4. Nicola

February 4, 2011 11:20 pm - Reply

adam is in the dentist chair getting a root canal, and this is in the fridge waiting for him… delicious!!

• Anonymous

February 9, 2011 5:47 pm - Reply

Aww poor adam… but lucky adam, too!

5. Cat

February 9, 2011 12:36 am - Reply

Beautiful pictures and great recipe, I’m making it tonight. Also- where did the cups come from, they’re gorgeous!

• Anonymous

February 9, 2011 5:47 pm - Reply

Thanks, Cat! The dishes were a christmas gift :-)

6. Robyn Salguero

February 25, 2011 11:14 pm - Reply

I am now relishing in the sinful delight of secret chocolate pudding eating. Don’t tell anyone….

I know what I’ll be doing every time I get a chocolate craving late in the evening. This was amazing, and was whipped up in no time flat! Thank you for sharing the awesome-ness of your recipe.

7. foodjules

March 23, 2011 1:48 am - Reply

That looks and sounds soooo delicious. I will DEFINITELY make that soon!

8. Rachel Crist

April 16, 2011 3:55 pm - Reply

is there anything I could sub for the corn syrup?

• Anonymous

April 16, 2011 11:18 pm - Reply

Assuming you mean corn starch? There isn’t an easy sub, unfortunately, though you can find different recipes with just eggs or even some with flour. Good luck!

9. Reney

July 4, 2011 10:43 pm - Reply

Just made this for the second time.  I had 8 egg yolks to use up from a cake I made and scoured the internet looking for the recipe again.  It’s going in my recipe book now.

10. Amanda Amos

March 15, 2013 5:41 pm - Reply

Hi Jenn, I’m making this for the second time tonight. This time for a dinner party. Already test-drived and approved by my choco-holic boyfriend. I can’t wait to share this, it is delish!

11. galadriel77

January 28, 2014 7:59 am - Reply

Thank you thank you thank you! This pudding has saved my sanity on many occasions! It’s that perfect I-need-chocolate-NOW fix. A couple of tips to save time and keep the eggs from cooking – I mixed the egg yolks in my mixer, then heated the milk in the microwave and trickled a cup of it into the yolks while the mixer was going to heat them up without cooking them. It worked great, no scrambled egg chunks! I mixed the rest of the milk into the dry ingredients, and because the milk was already hot, it came together really fast! Thanks again!