Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

I’m not known for my patience in the kitchen. Just ask my mother who spent many years firmly insisting that the oven not be used like a microwave (which did little to stop my hungry teenage self from cranking it to 500 degrees in hopes of enjoying my frozen pizza in 3 minutes or less). I blame this lack of patience for my previous failed attempts at making crunchy oatmeal cookies. The occasional cookie recipe says to bake them for 18-20 minutes… but who can wait that long? Cookies are only supposed to take 8-12 minutes! It actually took me several tries at playing around with ingredients – using white sugar instead of brown, using a higher butter-to-flour ratio, etc. – before I had a duh moment and realized that the crunchiness potential exists in every cookie, if you just leave leave it in the oven long enough.

cookies Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

Don’t get me wrong – I love the occasional sturdy oatmeal cookie, toothsome and full of chewy raisins. And I am firmly on the side of “soft and chewy” when it comes to most other types of cookie. But for one reason or another, a delicately crispy, buttery oatmeal cookie – with little bits of chocolate and raisins – really floats my boat.

What I like about this cookie is that you can use whole wheat flour, or oat flour, or whatever hearty flour wags your tail, and it tastes like it belongs (then again, maybe everything tastes like it belongs with a good hit of butter and sugar). This recipe is very versatile, and you can toss in lots of things – sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, flax seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, currants, milk-, dark-, or white-chocolate, coconut. Whatever makes your skirt fly up.

Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tbsp honey, or maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup flour (I used oat flour – you can use whole wheat or all purpose, instead)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup add-ins (I used 1/4 cup currants, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup flax seeds)
  • 1/4 cup demarara (raw) sugar (coarse, sanding, or regular sugar would be fine)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter, sugar, honey and vanilla until fluffy.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture and stir to blend. Stir in oats and add-ins.

3. Drop tablespoons of dough onto greased cookie sheet. Dip a flat-bottomed glass in demarara sugar, and flatten cookies, dipping the bottom of the glass in sugar for each one. Bake for about 18 minutes, until crisp and golden.

cookie Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

1. Kevin

March 7, 2009 7:14 pm - Reply

Those oatmeal cookies look good!

2. Kevin

March 7, 2009 11:14 am - Reply

Those oatmeal cookies look good!

3. nicola

March 7, 2009 9:16 pm - Reply

i baked these the other night. they were delicious! my add-ins were flax seeds, almonds (i smashed them myself so they were very crunchy and rustic, mm!) and raisins. they were a win. except in my oven they were beginning to burn on the bottom by 18 minutes!

4. nicola

March 7, 2009 1:16 pm - Reply

5. foodess

March 9, 2009 6:10 pm - Reply

Hi Nicola,
    It may not be your oven. The colour of your baking pan makes a humongous difference in how the cookies bake. The darker the cookie sheet, the darker the bottoms of your cookies. I baked two batches of the same cookie, and the ones baked on a slightly darker sheet were significantly darker on the bottom.

If you only have dark baking sheets, lining them with shiny aluminum foil fixes the burned-bottom problem. A light surface reflects heat, a dark surface absorbs it.

6. foodess

March 9, 2009 10:10 am - Reply

Hi Nicola,

7. nicola

March 10, 2009 11:14 pm - Reply

hmm, thanks for the advice!! i will try again with foil! my baking sheet is definitely dark – it’s very old :p

8. nicola

March 10, 2009 3:14 pm - Reply

9. CookieGirl

November 6, 2009 6:37 pm - Reply

This recipe has no eggs and makes very few cookies. They are in the oven now, will let you know how they come out!

10. CookieGirl

November 6, 2009 10:37 am - Reply

11. CookieGirl

November 6, 2009 7:21 pm - Reply

These turned out great! Not enough of them at all, I would triple the recipe!

12. CookieGirl

November 6, 2009 11:21 am - Reply

These turned out great! Not enough of them at all, I would triple the recipe!

13. OldWorldUkranianCook

December 31, 2009 8:27 pm - Reply

So good. Next time (because I am all about the raisins in my oatmeal cookies) am trying rum extract in place of vanilla. Will let you know if that worked.

14. OldWorldUkranianCook

December 31, 2009 12:27 pm - Reply

15. OldWorldUkranianCook

January 15, 2010 1:44 am - Reply

Needed nutmeg to make rum extract work.

16. OldWorldUkranianCook

January 14, 2010 5:44 pm - Reply

Needed nutmeg to make rum extract work.

17. CookieGirl

August 14, 2010 11:35 pm - Reply

These turned out great! Not enough of them at all, I would triple the recipe!

18. Jasmine

March 18, 2011 9:22 am - Reply

I made these for my son who is allergic to everything under the sun so had to use gluten and wheat free flour and oats, and dairy free marg but tasted absolutely divine! My hubbie has already eaten 4 within an hour! :)

19. Yino

July 29, 2012 10:33 am - Reply

I too used gluten free flour and vegan butter and my cookies merged into one large mess? Any ideas? Smells great though.

20. Pesteh

February 5, 2013 1:43 pm - Reply

So glad to find your site. I am on anti-fungul diet, which means i can’t take dairy, or sugar (raisins, etc). Have been looking for a crispy oatmeal cookie recipe, could I substitute the butter with oil? Will it still maintain its crunchiness? :-P

• foodess

February 6, 2013 8:57 am - Reply

Glad you found my site too :) You can’t expect the same results when substituting oil for butter in cookies, but you can give it a shot! Good luck.

21. Eva

June 11, 2013 2:34 pm - Reply

The raw sugar is just for dipping the glass in – it does not get mixed in with other ingredients, is that right?

• foodess

June 11, 2013 3:45 pm - Reply

Yes, that’s correct.

22. sharon délpaul

June 2, 2014 7:08 am - Reply

Pls send the crunchiE recipe for me