Warm Cherry Crisp

Growing up in Atlantic Canada, a Sunday evening wasn’t complete without a bowl (or several) of warm apple crisp. The vanilla ice cream (and my heart) would melt on contact, in full surrender. It was a final hug of the weekend, providing the courage to start another week of school. After an afternoon skating in the backyard till our toes were numb, or sliding from our yard into our neighbour’s on our man-made mountain (a happy by-product of driveway-shoveling… with New Brunswick-style snow storms, an impressive sliding mountain really doesn’t take long), there was nothing like warm, gooey apples under buttery oats to take the chill out of our cold, rosy cheeks.

cherry3 Warm Cherry Crisp cherry1 Warm Cherry Crisp

That being said, a quarter-century of Sundays and my eye started wandering away from my apple crisp hugs, and I landed in the arms of another, bolder and more exciting crisp… with sweet cherries… and almonds.

Cherry crisp is like the best of cherry pie meeting the best of apple crisp. The cherries release lots of juice, making a thick, rich, delicious filling. The addition of sliced almonds to the topping is perfection. The toasty, nutty crunch is nothing short of divine with the gorgeous, soft cherries.

cherry2 Warm Cherry Crisp

So go run around outside (or if you live somewhere more temperate than the North East, go stick your head in the freezer), give your cheeks a good chill, so you can experience the full pleasure of warming them back up again with warm cherry crisp and melting ice cream.

Cherry Crisp

• 6 c pitted cherries (I use frozen)
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1/2 c oats
  • 1/3 c sliced almonds
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 c butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Toss the cherries with cornstarch and sugar in a baking dish (you can use any size, a smaller one will give you a thicker topping – I use 9 x 13 inch).

Mix remaining dry ingredients in a small bowl, and add butter using your fingers to make coarse crumbs (I like to press some of the topping into larger clumps).

Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until crumble is golden brown, and filling is thick and bubbling over the topping.

1,319 Comments

1. maggie (p&c)

February 6, 2009 4:46 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I have a bunch of frozen berries/cherries in the freezer and never thought of making them into a crisp. Do you thaw and drain first, or throw in the oven still frozen?

2. maggie (p&c)

February 6, 2009 8:46 am - Reply

3. foodess

February 6, 2009 5:26 pm - Reply

Just throw ‘em in frozen! If you drain them you’d lose that yummy juice.

4. foodess

February 6, 2009 9:26 am - Reply

Just throw ‘em in frozen! If you drain them you’d lose that yummy juice.

5. Cj

February 9, 2009 6:05 am - Reply

Just made this with frozen cherries & it turned out great. I wouldn’t recc using a 9×13 dish (the topping doesn’t stretch) I’d use a smaller deeper dish for results like the pix above. But it taste wonderful

6. Cj

February 8, 2009 10:05 pm - Reply

7. nicola

February 10, 2009 2:34 am - Reply

i haven’t made this yet (and believe me i will), but i was lucky enough to be jenn’s guinea pig and it. is. DELICIOUS. period.

8. nicola

February 9, 2009 6:34 pm - Reply

9. foodess

February 10, 2009 5:39 am - Reply

Glad you tried & liked, CJ!

Hahah, I’m glad you don’t mind being my guinea pig Nicola. ♥

10. foodess

February 9, 2009 9:39 pm - Reply

Glad you tried & liked, CJ!

Hahah, I’m glad you don’t mind being my guinea pig Nicola. ♥

11. beeker

April 1, 2009 6:22 pm - Reply

I made this last night for dessert. I had to double the topping because it was a little too soupy for my taste. It has a wonderful flavor and it passed the hubby test!

12. beeker

April 1, 2009 10:22 am - Reply

13. gaile

November 27, 2009 12:04 am - Reply

I made this for thanksgoving dessert and it was fantastic! Thank you!

14. gaile

November 26, 2009 4:04 pm - Reply

I made this for thanksgoving dessert and it was fantastic! Thank you!

15. erika

April 15, 2010 6:15 am - Reply

Can you use canned cherries instead of frozen? It looks yummy and I am tempted to try this recipe. I love your dish as well :)

16. erika

April 14, 2010 10:15 pm - Reply

17. Karen

May 31, 2010 10:52 pm - Reply

Oh my God!!!! I just made this with freshly picked cherries from Brentwood, CA and I cannot believe how delicious this is! My husband and I think this just may be the BEST crisp recipe ever and will try it with other fruit this summer. I am so glad I found your website and chose the recipe.

I made this in my new deep dish pie dish and it came out awesome!!!

Thank you thank, you!!!!!

18. Karen

May 31, 2010 2:52 pm - Reply

I made this in my new deep dish pie dish and it came out awesome!!!

Thank you thank, you!!!!!

19. Cyanikoski

June 5, 2011 2:21 pm - Reply

Do I use rolled oats or quick oats for this recipe?  It looks delicious!!!

• Anonymous

June 5, 2011 7:47 pm - Reply

Old-fashioned rolled oats – I never use quick oats for baking.

20. guest

July 28, 2011 6:07 am - Reply

I just made this with two pounds of fresh Rainier cherries, and it is amazing! It’s going to be difficult not to eat a day’s worth of calories out of that dish haha. Because I don’t have a cherry pitter, I added the juice of one lemon wedge to keep them from browning too much while I did the work by hand, but the 2 Tbsp. of sugar covered the tartness perfectly. I also used Earth Balance’s soy-free margarine instead of butter with great success. Thank you for the wonderful recipe :)! I will try it with apples during the holidays as well.

21. Melissa Hayes

November 25, 2011 3:14 pm - Reply

Modified this slightly for Thanksgiving this year.  I used four cups of frozen dark cherries, and 2 cups of whole fresh cranberries.  I also used earth balance instead of butter, to make this a delish vegan treat.  So easy, and not overly sweet.  Family loved it.

• Anonymous

November 28, 2011 3:32 am - Reply

Love that cranberry-cherry idea! Sounds delish!

22. Christy

February 7, 2012 4:38 pm - Reply

hmmm you have me seriously craving some sort of crisp and I can’t decide now between apple and cherry…..I think I might just combine the two and make a cherry-apple crisp! :)

• Alyaldred

July 7, 2012 9:41 am - Reply

I just made this last night with fresh cherries my neighbor gave us from her tree. It was very good! It didn’t have much glaze to it, I’m guessing because I used fresh cherries, but I think I liked that more. It felt healthier. Ha, I know! The topping was amazing! I used quick oats because that was all I had, but I will definitely use the same topping for other crisps too.

23. Kate Kaplan

March 12, 2013 11:03 pm - Reply

I made your cherry crisp when a friend came over for lunch. It was so delicious and we nearly ate half of the whole crisp. We both loved it! Thanks, Kate