On Saturday mornings, I like to wake up early, throw on my least respectable sweatpants, poke timidly at the impressive masterpiece that is my hair (it starts as a bun before bed but gets transformed into a terrific sculpture in my sleep), shrug, grab my dog and head out the door. We usually hit Starbucks first for a massive coffee, then my favourite bagel shop, Seigel’s Bagels, before venturing down to Kits point, known to Oliver as… THE BEACH!!! (To him, the two most exciting words in the English language).
Seigel’s bagels makes not only the softest, freshest, most incredible bagels, but they also make this insanely delicious blueberry-stuffed bagel – almost like a pie, but less rich and with a hole in the centre. So good. But really messy. I very rarely opt for one, as I already look like a crazy lady, and I don’t need blue teeth and lips (and let’s face it – probably chin, cheeks and shirt too) adding to this image.
So, when after making this, and I was left with an extra pound of pizza dough, I had an incredibly ingenious idea to add sugar and cornstarch to blueberries and roll it up. If blueberry pie can come inside bagel dough, it can come inside pizza dough too. Then…. I glazed it with a cream cheese icing with grapefruit juice and zest… and guess what? Magic happened.
It was like blueberry pie meets cinnamon bun. Delicious.
Blueberry Swirl with Grapefruit Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 lb pizza dough (recipe here)
- 2 cups blueberries (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp grapefruit zest
- 1-2 tbsp grapefruit juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, toss blueberries with sugar and corn starch. Set aside.
2. On top of a sheet of parchment paper, roll out pizza dough into a rectangle about 1/2″ thick. Spread blueberry mixture evenly over top. Starting a the long edge, gently roll up the dough, using the parchment paper to help. Tuck any rogue blueberries into the ends, and transfer roll and parchment paper to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 2-25 minutes till golden brown and filling is thick and bubbly.
3. Meanwhile, make icing by beating together cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, and grapefruit juice and zest. You may adjust taste and/or consistency to your liking by adding more cream cheese or grapefruit zest. Spread on roll while warm for a glaze, or wait until the roll has cooled for a thicker icing. Slice into 8 pieces.